Thursday 6 February 2014

Maeve's work

“Objects hang before the eyes of the imagination, continuously re-presenting ourselves to ourselves, and telling the stories of our lives in ways which would be impossible otherwise.” - Moira Vincentelli Objects we surround ourselves with, expose our narratives, and quietly plot our personalities. We leave behind physical memories of our life, such objects that stir up forgotten nostalgic memories of yesteryear. My main work investigates fragility and revolves around nature – growth, energy, movement, light and shadows that the pieces cast. I’m interested in how both objects large and small can create experiences that are different, attractive and intimate. I am also exploring bygone days from my house and in this regard my current work focuses on a spoon which holds special memories of my Mum in which I have casted a mould from it. I primarily utilize different varieties of paper clay and mould of the spoon for its translucency and ability to retain fine details.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maeve,

    here is a link to a Korean artist Antonella Cimatti. His work is similar to your but he also incorporates light into some of his pieces.

    http://www.ceramicsnow.org/antonellacimatti

    ReplyDelete